Here are some small meal/snack ideas to get you through your day. Eat every 3-4 hours to help aid in blood sugar stability and ward off those cravings and dips in energy!
The key to consistent energy levels, good moods, mental clarity, supported metabolism, decreased sugar cravings and avoiding getting “hangry” is blood sugar regulation.
You can stabilize your blood sugars when eating in balance by incorporating healthy fat, quality protein and nutrient-dense carbohydrates every time you eat. When blood sugar levels are too high or too low, we experience consequences like increased blood pressure, inflammation, anxiety, insomnia, mood swings and more. To stabilize blood sugar levels, strive to eat protein, fat and carbs every three hours (four hours MAX!) to keep blood sugar levels balanced – the 3-3 Rule!
If you want to learn more about this, click here.
- 2-3 eggs (P) cooked in 1-2 T coconut oil (F) with 1 cup spinach, 1/4 cup onion and 1/4 cup tomato (C) + 1/2 cup sweet potato (C)
- 3-5 oz. ground turkey or sausage (P) with 2-3 cups non starchy vegetables (C) drizzled with 1 T olive oil (F)
- 1 slice whole wheat toast (C) + 2 T almond butter (F) + 1-2 hard boiled eggs
- Large omelet: Cook 1-3 cups veggies first (C) with 1-2 T butter/coconut oil (F)- set aside. Mix 3 eggs (P) with 3 T water until beaten. With the pan set to medium high, add a little butter/coconut oil until sizzling. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and allow to cook until the egg is no longer runny. Add the cooked vegges to one half of the omelet and fold the other half over. Flip onto a plate! (can also add cheese)
- Banana pancake: 1/2 banana (C) + 2 eggs (P) [add cinnamon – beat together] fried in 1 T butter (F) and topped with Greek yogurt (P) or almond butter (F)
- 2-3 cups spinach with tomato and onion (C) with 3-5 oz grilled chicken (P) + handful of sunflower seeds, 1 T olive oil and 1 oz. feta cheese (F)
- 3-5 oz. canned tuna – Wild Planet is a good brand (P) + 1-2 T mayo (F) + chopped celery, onion, halved grapes over a heaping bed of spinach (C)
- 3-5 oz of grilled chicken (P) + 1/2 avocado sliced + 1 ounces feta cheese + 1 Tablespoon sunflower seeds (F) over 3 cups of leafy greens + 1/2 diced apple + 1/2 cup halved tomatoes +1/2 cup sliced cucumbers (C)
- 1 cup of salmon salad made with 3-4 ounces wild Alaskan salmon (P) + 3-4 Tablespoons full fat mayonnaise (F) + 1/2 cup chopped celery and 1/2 cup grapes (C)
- Balanced smoothie with 1 scoop grass fed whey protein or collagen (P) + ¼ cup coconut milk (F) + 1 cup spinach + 1/2 cup blueberries (C)
- Paleo BLT: 3-4 slices bacon (P) + 1/4 sliced avocado & 1 T mayo (F) spread over thick slices of tomato with a side salad (C) (can also use whole wheat bread)
- Burger bowl: 3-5 oz. ground beef patty (P) over 2-3 cups spinach, tomatoes, and onion (C) w/ sliced avocado, shredded cheese and olive oil or mayo based dressing (F)
- Blue cheese salad w/ chicken thighs: 3-5 oz. chicken thighs (P) fried in butter (& Frank’s red hot sauce) over a large bed of greens, celery, tomato, onion (C) + 1-2 T blue cheese dressing (made with olive oil) and 1 oz. crumbled blue cheese (F)
- 3-5 ounce grass-fed beef burger (P) + 1 Tablespoon pumpkin seeds + 5-10 olives (F) served over 1 cup fresh greens topped with 1/2 cup mixed vegetables (tomato, cucumber) (C) + a side of 1/2 cup cooked carrots (C)
- Stir fry: 3-5 ounces of steak strips stir fried in 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil (F) + 1-2 cups mixed vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, celery, green beans, carrots, water chestnuts) served over 1/2 cup spaghetti squash noodles (C)
- 1/2 banana/ or 1/2 cup strawberries/apple (C) + 2 T almond butter (F) + 2 T collagen protein powder (P)
- Tuna salad made with 2 oz. canned tuna (P) + 1-2 T mayo (F) + sliced celery and grapes (C)
- 1-2 ounces grilled chicken (P) + 2 Tablespoons full fat cream cheese (F) + a pickle (C)
- 1/2 cup plain, full fat Greek yogurt (PF) + ½ cup blackberries (C)
- 1 ounce dried beef stick (P) + guacamole (1/2 avocado with fresh squeezed lime and diced tomatoes) (F) + 2-3 cups raw veggies (C)
- 1 deviled egg made with 1 hard boiled egg (P) + 2 Tablespoons full fat mayonnaise (F) + a clementine (C)
- 1 slice of egg bake (PFC)
- 1 slice whole wheat toast (C) + 2 T nut butter (F) + 1 hard boiled egg (P)
- Butter coffee (blend all ingredients): 2-3 cups coffee + 1 T butter/coconut oil + 2 T collagen protein powder (pasture raised)
- Pumpkin mouse (1 serving – PFC)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin (canned) (C)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk, full fat (F)
- 1 spoonful honey (C)
- 1 scoop protein powder (20 grams) (P)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Throw it all into a blender/magic bullet! This recipe serves 2.
Bedtime Snacks (without protein)
- 1/2 cup sliced pears (C) sautéed in 1 T coconut oil (F)
- 1/2 cup baked sweet potato (C) + 1 T butter (F)
- 1/2 cup berries (C) + 2 T nut butter (F)
- Pumpkin mousse (w/o protein powder)
- Chocolate “Pudding” (1 serving – FC)
- Servings: 2
- 1 avocado (F)
- 1 banana (C)
- 1 Tbsp cocoa powder
- Smash the avocado and banana together. Mix in the cocoa powder. Split into 2 portions. Savor the flavor!
I recommend not having protein with your bedtime snack because it can interfere with the quality of sleep you get. However, this is not the case for everyone and you can assess for yourself if protein affects your sleep.