Servings: 1, 12-inch pizza crust (4-6 people)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 package yeast (or 2 1/4 tsp if using the yeast in a jar)
- 1 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 T olive oil + extra for brushing crust
- 2 1/2 cups 100% Hard whole wheat stone ground flour + extra for kneeding
- 1/4 cup organic whole flaxseed
- Pour the warm water into a bowl of a stand mixer. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve, then add the yeast.
- Let the yeast “proof” for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the salt* and olive oil. Mix with a hand whisk for 30 seconds.
- Connect the dough hook to your machine. Add one cup of flour and turn your machine to a slow speed. Continue to add and mix the flour a half cup at a time until the dough is beginning to form.
- Add the flaxseed and let the machine run for a minute or two until the dough is formed.
- Once mixed, knead for 5 minutes by hand or with the dough hook on low-medium speed. If the dough is too wet, add up to 1/3 cup more whole wheat flour.
- After kneading, the dough should be smooth and elastic. You can test it by poking it with your finger – it should slowly bounce back. If it does not do this, keep kneading until it does.
- Place the dough in a bowl coated with a bit of olive oil. Toss the dough to coat all sides. Place a clean towel over the top and let rise for 60-75 minutes in a warm place. You may turn your oven to 200F and leave the door open to create a warm environment. Be careful your oven is not too hot though or the dough will start to bake!
- Preheat the oven to 475F. If you have a pizza stone, you may place this in the oven while it is preheating to make your crust extra crispy.
- Punch the dough down and separate into two balls. (You may freeze one of them at this time if you only need one)
- Place some extra flour on the countertop and roll out the pizza dough into desired shape.
- Top the dough with sauce and desired toppings. Bake for 12-15 minutes.