Serving size: 3-4 full size, 6-8 appetizer servings
- 1 globe eggplant, 9-10 inches long
- 1 T salt
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 10 large basil leaves, cut in strips (optional)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup finely grated mozzarella blend
- 3/4 cup cooked sausage, grass fed or organic
- Hot red pepper flakes
- 1-2 T olive oil
- 3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 can diced tomatoes with liquid (14.5 oz.), or use 2 cups peeled and diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
- Cut off both ends of eggplant; then cut into 3/4 inch slices. Put the eggplant pieces on a double layer of paper towels and sprinkly both sides with salt. Let the eggplant sit for 30 minutes to dry out liquid.
- Turn the oven on to 375 F. While the eggplant sits, make the sauce. Heat 1-2 T olive oil and saute the garlic until you can just smell it (don’t let it brown). Add the tomatoes, Italian seasoning and oregano; let the sauce cook at low simmer until it’s thickened. (Add water as needed, a few T at a time and keep the sauce at low until the eggplant is ready).
- Spray a roasting sheet with olive oil and lay the eggplant slices on. Brush the tops with olive oil and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Roast the eggplant about 25 minutes.
- Thinly slice the fresh basil leaves and combine them with the Parmesan and mozarella cheese, along with the cooked sausage. Remove the eggplant from the oven and turn the oven setting to broil. Spread the sauce and cheese mixture on the top of each and put pizzas under the broiler until cheese is melted and slightly browned. (perhaps about 6-7 minutes)
- Serve hot with red pepper flakes.