Who doesn’t want an easy chocolate filled dessert for Valentine’s day? If you’re in need of a rich, sweet treat that isn’t full of sugar and flour – I have it for you:) This is gluten free (possibly dairy free) and refined sugar free.
Flourless Chocolate Cake
- Prep: 20 min // Cook: 40 min
- Servings: 16 slices
- Adapted from: veggiebalance.com
- For the Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (optional: dairy free chocolate chips)
- 5 oz. of butter (coconut oil for dairy free)
- 6 eggs
- 1-2 tsp of stevia extract (for lower carb/sugar: depending on desired sweetness; can use 2-4 T of honey instead)
- 2 T vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- For the Ganache:
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips (optional: dairy free chocolate chips)
- 4 T. butter (coconut oil for dairy free)
- 3 T unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk (full fat)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Take an 8-inch springform pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Grease the sides of the pan and parchment paper with butter or coconut oil. Wrap the outside of the pan with two sheets of aluminum foil and set into a pan larger than the springform pan. Bring a pot/kettle of water to boiling.
- In a mixing bowl, add 6 eggs and stevia extract or honey. Beat the eggs and stevia extract or honey on high speed until they double in size. (May take up to 6-8 minutes)
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, melt chocolate chips and butter or coconut oil together.
- Fold melted chocolate into the eggs mixture.
- Add vanilla extract, 1/2 of the cocoa power and salt.
- Continue to fold until mainly combined. Then add remaining cocoa powder.
- Continue to mix but be careful not to overtax and have the batter lose its volume.
- Pour cake mix into springform pan.
- Place large pan and springform pan into the oven. Carefully pour in enough boiling water to come at least 1/4 – 1/2 up the sides of the springform pan.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until cake forms a thin crust. Cake should be firm in the middle and almost resemble the crust of a brownie.
- Pull cake out and allow to cool to room temperature before removing the springform sides.
- Make the chocolate ganache while the cake is cooling. Melt the chocolate chips and butter or coconut oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add and stir in almond milk or coconut milk until desired thickness.
- Frosting with the ganache:
- Remove the sides of the springform pan when cake is cool. Flip the cake upside to remove the parchment paper. Place the cake on a fancy plate or serving platter. Spoon the warm chocolate ganache over the cake. We enjoy ours with fresh berries and homemade whipped cream!