This recipe allows you to enjoy your monster cookies while being cautious with the ingredients (no hydrogenated oils aka trans fat) and allowing you to enjoy them if you have a gluten or dairy intolerance! They have a much lower sugar content than conventional monster cookies, but are still a great quick energy snack.
Servings: 14 cookies
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (or almond butter, cashew butter, etc.)
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar (I used 1/4 cup of erythritol and added 1 T. molasses to make my own)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats (gluten free)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (dairy free – I like Ghiradelli)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a stand mixer or medium sized bowl, stir together the brown sugar and peanut butter (if making the brown sugar homemade: simply add the sweetener and molasses and stir together first).
- Mix in the oats, baking soda, vanilla extract and salt. Stir well.
- Add the eggs and slightly beat with a fork before mixing into the batter. Then add to the mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Form the dough into balls and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Slightly press down with a spatula to form into a cookie shape.
- Place in the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes. The cookies are done when they start to crack and the bottom is slightly browned. They will cook more as they are on the baking sheet.
- Remove and cool completely before storing. Enjoy!