This dinner is one of my favorites! Whenever I go to a restaurant, it is the first entree I look for on the menu. My husband loves it too, but he doesn’t always want bleu cheese dressing so I make him ranch instead 🙂
Buffalo Chicken Salad
For the chicken
- 4 chicken breasts (chicken thighs are even better!)
- 1 cup Franks red hot sauce (check the ingredient label, lots of hot sauces have added hydrogenated oils= trans fat!)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- Juice for 1/2 of a lime (a lemon works too)
- 2 T. butter
- Salt and pepper
Another option is to make my Jamaican hot sauce!
For the salad
- 4 cups spinach
- 4-5 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tomato, quartered
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- Shredded cheddar cheese to taste (optional)
- You can also add zucchini, peppers, or other vegetables that you desire
- Dairy Free Ranch Dressing or Bleu Cheese Dressing
- Oven method:
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place chicken breasts/thighs in a baking pan. Shake salt and pepper over the chicken and top each with 1/2 T. of butter, the fresh minced garlic and lime juice. Add 1/2 cup of hot sauce.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Add remaining hot sauce.
- Stovetop method:
- Heat a pan to medium high heat.
- Salt and pepper the chicken. Add 1 T. butter to the pan. Brown chicken on both sides for 4-5 minutes each.
- Make the hot sauce. Take a microwave safe bowl and mix the hot sauce, lime/lemon juice, minced garlic, remaining butter and salt and pepper together. Microwave for about 1 minute or until the butter is melted.
- Place the sauce over chicken and let simmer until chicken is cooked to 165 F and juices run clear.
- Place spinach on two plates along with celery, onion, tomato, avocado, carrots and cheese.
- Place chicken on top and add the amount of dressing you prefer.
- Add more hot sauce as desired!