For the chicken
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon cumin, garlic powder and chili powder
- 1/2 a lime
- 1/4 red onion
- 5-6 slices of jicama
- A few slices of cheddar cheese (or white cheddar)
- 1/4 cup of salsa (I used homemade)
For the salad:
- 1 cup of spinach
- 1/4 cup of cucumbers
- 1 T flaxseed (optional)
- Tomatoes (optional)
- Olive oil + lemon/lime juice + salt + pepper (salad dressing)
- Coat the chicken with the cumin, garlic powder and chili powder. Place in a pan and set to medium high. Cover and let cook.
- Chop the onions and it to the pan. Continue to cook.
- After chicken is almost cooked through, remove the cover and squeeze the lime over the chicken. Add the olive oil and allow chicken and onions to caramelize.
- Make the salad by taking the spinach and adding chopped cucumbers, the flax seed and the vinaigrette. Add the tomatoes if desired.
- Cut the jicama into slices and place it on a plate. (You can also choose to sauté the jicama with the onion and chicken.)
- Place the chicken and onions on the plate and top with cheese. Add any salsa you would like. Enjoy!
Note: Jicama has become one of my favorite vegetables recently. It is a Mexican potato and has the texture of an apple, with a more earthy flavor!